Federal and state laws require that we tell you how we collect, use, share, and protect your personal information. Those laws also limit how we may use your personal information and how we may share it with others. Protecting the privacy and security of your personal information is very important to us. Please read this notice carefully. It will help you understand what we do with the personal information we collect both online and offline.
Online Personal Information
You do not need to register to use most of our websites. If you do not register, we do not collect any personal information about you. We may, however, collect anonymous information about your visit to our websites for security and internal operations purposes. This may include your IP address, browser type, the website you came from, and your likely country of origin. We may also measure data like how often users go to a specific page, how long they spend on that page and similar information. This anonymous information is aggregated and is not associated with individual users. It is collected to help us analyze usage patterns and improve our site’s overall performance.
If you want us to contact you to provide you with information or to provide answers to your questions, you must provide minimal personal information. In most cases, we will ask only for your name, address, telephone number, or email address.
To access information about your existing insurance policies or accounts and for some other purposes, you must register an account. When you register, we will ask for more personal information. That may include your policy or account number, your date of birth and your social security number. You may also provide us with your preferences for our communications with you.
Uses and Sharing of Your Personal Information
We do not sell your personal information to outside companies for their use in marketing products or services to you.
We may share your personal information, but only if the law allows us to do so, with other Genworth companies for marketing purposes.
We may make additional disclosures of information as permitted or required by law. For example, we may disclose information to government agencies including law enforcement agencies or state insurance authorities, businesses, or individuals in response to court orders, subpoenas, or to resolve complaints.
When Do We Collect Personal Information?
When you contact us:
- To ask for general information
- To apply for a new policy
- To create an account so you can view information about your existing policy
When we contact you:
- To service your policy
- To provide information you ask for
- To provide information we believe you may be interested in
When we contact others:
- To obtain or confirm information about you (e.g. medical records)
Where Does Your Information Go?
- To service your policy
- To answer your requests for information
Outside of Genworth:
- We provide information to government agencies, businesses, or individuals in response to court orders, subpoenas, or to resolve complaints.
- We use third-party services on our websites to help in communicating or interacting with you and members of the general public.
- If you pay premiums online to process your payment.
- We may disclose personal information as permitted or required by law. For example, we may disclose personal information to law enforcement agencies or state insurance authorities.
How to Make Changes in the Personal Information You Give Us or Your Preferences
- Some personal information you may change yourself by logging into your account. This includes information like your address and your banking information.
- If you see other information that is not correct, you may call the number on your policy statement or may write to the address on that statement. Or, you may call 888 GENWORTH (888.436.9678).
- Unsubscribe instructions will be included in each promotional email from us to the extent required by law. Please note that unsubscribe requests may take up to ten (10) business days to become effective.
- If you join our text alerts program, alerts may come from Genworth. You are not required to opt into receive text messages (directly or indirectly) as a condition of transacting with Genworth. Frequency of these messages will vary based on the alerts selected. Messages may be sent by automatic telephone dialing system. These messages may include information regarding your policy/contract or, if applicable, claim(s). You acknowledge that these messages are not otherwise secured when they are sent, and that there is a risk the message could be intercepted in its transmission to you. You acknowledge that these messages may be subject to fees from your cellular provider, message and data rates apply, and that Genworth and your wireless carrier will not be held liable for any delayed or undelivered messages. To disable or update alert(s) or to update your mobile phone number, you can update your Notification Preferences in your account, or text HELP for assistance or STOP to cancel. For further assistance, please visit our Customer Service website.
How We Protect Your Personal Information
When you provide information to us on our websites, we use encryption and authentication tools to protect that information after it gets to us. Please note, however, that no internet data transmission between your computer and our systems is completely secure. While we endeavor to protect your personal information, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information before it gets to us; you transmit that information at your own risk. If you are uncomfortable providing information over the internet, you may be able to mail it or fax it to us.
Once we receive your information, we use procedures and technologies designed to prevent unauthorized access to your personal information and to protect against the loss, misuse, and alteration of information under our control. We maintain physical, electronic, and procedural protections to protect personal information in accordance with applicable standards.
We require that third parties who have access to your personal information implement similar standards. We require third parties to agree to keep your personal information confidential.
If you want to provide us with highly confidential information, such as a credit card number, you may want to call us or send it by regular mail or by fax. Emails sent from outside of our website may not be protected. We will never ask for personal information via email.
The servers hosting our systems are in the United States. If you access our websites from outside the United States, this means that information you provide may be transferred to and hosted on servers in the United States. By submitting information to us, you expressly consent to those transfers.
What are cookies?
A cookie is information saved by your web browser. When you visit a website, the site may place a cookie on your web browser so it can recognize your device in the future. If you return to that site later, it can read that cookie to remember you from your last visit and keep track of you over time.
- collect information about the pages you view and your activities on the site
- enable the site to recognize you, for example by:
– remembering your user ID
– keeping track of your preferences if you visit the website again
- customize your browsing experience
The cookie transmits this information back to the website’s computer (or server). You can set your web browser to warn you about attempts to place cookies on your computer or to limit the type of cookies you allow. For more information, please see the FTC's guidance on cookies and other forms of online tracking.opens in new window
This website uses first party HTTPS both session/persistent cookies for different use cases. For Analytics, this website uses third party cookies as well.
Website Data Analytics
By using our site or engaging in other communications with us, you consent to the storing and accessing of cookies or other information on your device where such activity occurs as described above, to the extent such consent is required by law.
At this time, our websites do not respond to browser Do Not Track (DNT) signals or similar mechanisms. We do not collect personally identifiable information about you using DNT signals as you move across other sites or services. Nor do we allow other companies to place DNT signals on our website. No user personal information is shared with network advertisers or stored by the cookie.
Information About Children
We do not knowingly solicit information from children and we do not intentionally market our products or services to children. You may choose to have a child insured, be owner or be a beneficiary to one of our products. If we learn that we have inadvertently received personal information from a child who has visited this website, we will delete that information from our records.
Links to Other Websites
Additional Genworth Privacy-related Information
- Genworth Privacy NoticePDF opens in new window
- Additional Privacy Information for California Residents
- Privacy Notice FAQPDF opens in new window
In compliance with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA), we protect health information as described in our Notice of Privacy Practices.
You may obtain a copy of the revised notice by clicking here PDF opens in new window or by writing to us at Genworth Life, Privacy Compliance, P.O. Box 40005, Lynchburg, VA 24506.
Write to Genworth’s Privacy Compliance Office:
Privacy Compliance Office
P.O. Box 40005
Lynchburg, VA 24506
Questions About Identity Theft and Online Issues
Visit ftc.gov/idtheft opens in new window to learn about the crime of identity theft, including detailed information to help you prevent, detect, and defend against it.
Visit OnGuardOnline opens in new window to learn how to be on guard against internet fraud, secure your computer, and protect your personal information.
1. Genworth Life and Annuity Insurance Company; Genworth Life Insurance Company; Genworth Life Insurance Company of New York; Genworth Mortgage Insurance Corporation; Genworth Financial Mortgage Insurance Pty Limited; Genworth Financial Mortgage Insurance Limited; Genworth Residential Mortgage Insurance Corporation of NC; and Genworth Financial Assurance Corporation